Raiding?

So, over the last few weeks I have actually been able to get in a couple of instance runs! Very unusual for me. I don’t normally get involved because most of the time my schedule is random, my work time is shift driven, and I’m often pulled away at the last minute to do non-wow things. All this adds up to letting down the group I’ve signed up with, and ensuing the wrath of our GL.

*cowers*

Anyway, I did have some time on a couple of Friday nights and I signed up for the Zul’Gurub raid a couple of weeks back, and more recently a quick run through Blackrock Depths. Both very different obviously. One’s a 20 man, and the other is a 5 man for example.

So I thought I’d do a quick summary of what I thought of the runs, what my role was, how well I performed, and any problems I encountered.

Zul’Gurub

This was great fun. Not been in a raid party that size before, and not even met/spoken to half the people in it! As a guild we have “Allied” with a couple of other smaller guilds we know and share a common chat channel. This was a stroke of genius in my opinion, and allows these small guilds to participate in big content. Wonderful.

What I thought of the instance?I really like the open topped instances I must admit - I find it helps with my positioning. Its a jungle/ruins kind of place and the weather effects really kick off the atmosphere. It was a huge place, but there were experienced people in there that knew their way around.

What my role was?Most of the time my role was “visitor”. I was one of the lowest lowbies there (at 62), and as I’d never set foot in this place before - I had to be led around like a lamb. However, when called for I was raining down arrows with the best of them and REALLY having a great time hearing the strategies around boss kills and seeing them carried out. There is something very satisfying about that, and very addictive - I can see why people like raiding.
How well I performed?I did OK. Like I said, I was new to the instance, new to a raid group, so I just shut up and kept my ears open for “ranged attack group” or “someone res Lofgrin”. I died a couple of times for getting to close, or being at the mercy of adds that were beyond me… but once the coordination within the group settled down things went a lot smoother. Actually Ael did a write-up on her blog (with comments on group coordination :-)) check it out: Ael’s Zul’Gurub post

Problems encountered?I was probably the only one without an epic mount - so I was playing “catch up and find the group before I die” a number of times. Apart from that, I had enough ammo, I had pots, I had pet food, and I managed to ensure my pet didn’t wonder off and come back with half the instance.

Blackrock Depths

This is a cheeky little 5 man. Hosted in an underground, fire and brimstone, kind of setting.
The main drive behind the run was for MC attunement, which is gained at the very uninteresting rock at the back of the instance. We did venture into MC for laughs at the end and all I can really say about it is “GIANT GREAT BIG FLAMING DEATH THINGYS FROM HELL!!!!”. Anyway, BRD…

What I thought of the instance?Think of Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey when they get sent to hell. That scene where the boulders are hanging on chains, and they are being pulled in towards the devil. Yeah, like that!! You even get to walk down those sorts of chains!! It ruled. I thought it was a fun, quite spacey instance - where the foes where quite far below the quality of our group and we didn’t struggle at all.

What was my role?Bowslinger. The guys knew the instance well, and as I mentioned we over powered it, so it was elementary stuff for the most part. Sit back, see which targets the tank was grabbing, hit my “Assist Tank” macro to select his target…. then let it rain! Holyshell was on damage for a change, and was topping the damage metres (or so she says, I could not authenticate this boast as I don’t have any installed :-)) so my role quickly became “burn the mobs down first and beat Shell to top-spot!!”. However, usually by the time I was winding in good shots, and sent my pet to rip peoples faces off all over the show, the mob was down, dead, and looted. But it was fun winding up the DPS occasionally. Would have liked the opportunity to throw around some traps, and CC a couple of mobs just for practice considering the mobs were below us - but I forgot all about it because the place was new to me and I was having fun!
How well I performed?I did alright. I use to getting myself into position quickly now, knowing how long to hold back before unleashing arrows, and when and how to use my pet to the best effect. I did get reminded about putting my pet away for a drop down to another level - and to be completely honest I would likely have forgotten on that occasion (I’m normally pretty good with it). But hopefully now its in the forefront of mind. Drop down = Dismiss pet.
Problems encountered?No, not that I remember. Apart from the whole pet business as mentioned above. Other than that it was simply a nice paced smack down.

So there’s a quick breakdown of the fun I’ve been having doing some group runs recently. In addition I ran a guildy through Deadmines earlier this week to grab him some items and get some of the older quests and the whole zone done and dusted so he can move on. Was fun overpowering everything (one shot kills and all), and I was glad to roll all the gear over to him for some pocket change… but I think we’d both agree that when we hit the end of the run it was a bit unsatisfying. I’d wiped the floor with most things before he’s even got a shot off, and I suggested that next time finding a group - no matter how long it takes - is probably a lot more enjoyable.

I should take my own advice now and again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment